Author Topic: 'Macro' recording  (Read 3651 times)

phew

'Macro' recording
« on: May 15, 2012, 06:26:15 pm »
While liking the concept of the EG32Forms designer, I am unsure that producing a binary file for input is best?

Something along the lines of an 'Excel' macro builder, for me, would be preferred. Not necessarily PB output but generic enough that it could be easily translated.

Since the preparation of a binary is already implemented by the EG32Forms designer, I'd have thought some sort of text output would be a logical extension to it?

As a by-product the output file would save on a lot of help-file scanning :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:39:09 pm by phew »

Brian Chirgwin

• Administrator
Re: 'Macro' recording
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 06:24:37 pm »

Let me make sure I have you're idea correct and ask some questions.

Instead of the Forms Editor saving to the internal format, you would rather have it produce source code. Is that correct?

What should the generated source be PB 9, PB 10, FireFly, etc... The same source could be used in all cases, maybe it could be configurable.

Would the following idea work? Loading a Form created with the form editor that generates code to produce that form. This would produce the final product not the individual steps. I think this would be better than a macro that produces every change.

Would you want the reverse? Paste code into Form Editor and have it displayable.

Marc Van Cauwenberghe

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 03:53:11 pm »
Hi,
I too have never used this because it generates an internal format. Some kind of code generater would be very welcome. I know it will be very difficult. I personaly would stick to pb10 or 9. I always program in FF, but I will not be very difficult to convert.

Marc
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:02:37 pm by Marc Van Cauwenberghe »

phew

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 07:14:10 pm »
'Macro' was probably not the word that I should have used in the title. As Marc Van Cauwenberghe comments; "Some kind of code generator would be very welcome.", sounds ideal.

Rather than creating a binary style EGrid via the Designer; certainly generating the equivalent code to reproduce the Designer generated EGrid, would better assist myself.